Benjamin G.

My Experience

When I was in third grade, at a very young age I found out my Mother was diagnosed with lung cancer. Being young I really never heard of cancer, so the exposure to it was very new. At the time I did not know that the doctors gave my mother 6 months to “Get her situations in order” as they said. I was not told this because the Pastor of my church did not think I was ready to handle the ordeal. So began the life altering experiences that my mother was sought out to face. And we as a family were ready to battle. As the result of radiation, chemotherapy I seen my mother battle through the toughest part of her life. But she was ready for it and took the challenge head on. From all the treatment she lost her hair, and looked not like herself. As the battle continued, she still took care of me and my oldest sister Carrie. Being out of work caused a lot of financial complications, especially with all the medical bills that arose from it. She still continued to keep a roof  over our head, and always made sure we had food at the table. As if the cancer was not enough we came to find that she had suffered from a heart attack and needed heart surgery. Now 12 years later, after she was given 6 months to life, she is still here with us. Within the past few months I lost my father to bone cancer. Which was a shock to us and everyone who knew him. A hard working man my father battled with heart problems, having numerous heart surgeries and almost losing his life to that battle. He started having problems moving, and a lot of pain in his back, he thought it was just complications of getting older. The pain got so severe that he decided to go to the emergency room and have it look at. We all expected from past hospital visits that everything would be fine, and he would be home soon. I was at work just like any normal day, dad was still in the hospital and would be home soon. I had received a phone call from my sister saying daddy wasn’t doing to well and I should get to the hospital as soon as possible. Being in total shock I dropped everything I was doing left work and went straight to the hospital where I watched for 3 days my father lay in his hospital bed unconscious. I am very proud to say my Parents are angels and fought this horrible disease face to face. It has been a life changing experience for me, and I am proud to be the son of two great parents.

What I have learned

I have learned to not take things for granted, and to make the time that I spend with everyone a pleasant and joyful bond. We don’t know how much longer we are going to be on this planet so make the best of everything, and treat everyone with respect.

How I am feeling now

Its been a few months since my father passed away, its starting to hit me that he is no longer here with us. And of course its hard sometimes to deal with, but everyday things slowly progress and get better. We honor and remember his life. And I am thankful I still have my mother here because being 20 is very hard and she helps me through the rough times in my life.